Yesterday afternoon I went into Evelyn's room to put away some laundry and make sure she was getting ready for soccer and not having another Hannah Montana sing along concert in front of her mirror. She was getting dressed but her room sure did smell. I asked her what the smell was? She said "Maybe my shoes?" while sniffing her shoes. Nope that was not it. I opened the window thinking it would just air out.
Skip ahead about 5 hours and Evelyn goes into her room to get ready for bed. She comes out announcing that her room smells really bad and can not sleep in there tonight. So, we start the elimination process.
Food in your room? No.
Glass of milk? No.
Stinky trash can? No.
Smelly shoes? No.
Dirty clothes? Maybe.
Oh, I know, what about the bag from the weekend that I told you to unpack on Sunday and is still sitting there with all your clothes, clean and dirty? Oh, maybe.
Is there anything in the bag that is smelling? I don't know. Maybe.
(Tom) Did you collect any shells or anything from the beach and put them in your bag? Yes.
(Tom) What kind of shells? Clams I think.
(Tom) Live clams or clam shells? I don't know. Live clams maybe.
(Tom) Are there 2 shells closed up or open? Well, one shell with another attached to it.
Open or closed? Ummmmmmmmmm. Open, no closed.
BINGO!! And not the game. Turns out Evelyn gathered up some shells along with a live clam that made it into her bag and has sat in the house since Sunday afternoon. P-U.
Mom - Go into your room, grab the bag and put it out back so it can air out.
Evelyn - But it smells.
M - I know, but you were supposed to unpack your bag Sunday and it's Tuesday. You grab it, run it out back so you room can air out. It will only take you a few seconds.
E - Ok, Kaydee, Kaydee, come with me in my room. (Kaydee - ok, sure I'll go. What are we going to do? But you are making me get up from my nap on my couch)
So, bag goes out back, clothes are dumped out, Tom opens the window further and turns on the fan to further air out the room, Greg gets the air freshener spray and goes to town with that. Tom dumps out the contents of the bag (clothes) and finds the poor dead stinky clam and chucks it into the glenn behind the house. (We have this glenn behind our house, maybe 1/4 mile down a hill and to the street- trees, plants, walking trail, stream, and wildlife). The clam will get mingled in with plants and maybe some bird will find it, crack it open, find the pearl and drop it accidentally in our back yard. Greg really wanted to open it to see if there was a pearl in it.
Now skip to this morning. The clothes still stink as does the bag. I toss the clothes into the washer along with the rest of the clothes from E's room, turn the bag inside out to finish airing out. Thankfully it is a cool morning and hopefully the bag will air out and be useful for the next outing. It is a very nice duffel bag with E's name embroidered on it just for her Adventure Princes campouts.
Oh, and I don't smell that clam in the house or out back!! Mystery stench solved. - Remember the mystery egg? How can I forget that smell!
Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Love it!! And I've done the same thing, only it was with sand dollars....YUCK!!!
YUCK! EWWWWW! and anything else that fits!
Jacquie
Post a Comment