Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A funny story, well to me at least

I have this wonderful friend Julie, who is the real Martha Stewart. She does it all, on a level I can relate to. I always go to her when I need a great recipe or idea.

Last week Greg was at her house for a play date with Aidan. Julie made crepes for the kids for lunch and sent me the recipe. I mixed up a batch last night and put them in the fridge to make for lunch today. Little surprise for the kids. And really, I have not been cooking all that much lately. shhhh I also have dinner cooking in the crock pot!

So, as I am making the crepes, Greg tells me they are not brown enough, not thin enough and just not like Julie makes them. oh, they also don't taste the same. And since, when do you start calling Mrs. Stauss Julie? And Greg also tells me that Mrs. Strauss has a crepe maker.
Well, I said these are the experiment crepes as I have never made them before and I am making them on my pancake griddle. But I liked them, warm drizzled with honey. Oh tasty!

Greg picked one from the batch I made, smeared jelly goobers (pb&j mixed in a jar) on it and then decided it was just not the same and he was only having cantelope for lunch. I fixed one myself and thought it quite tasty. Evelyn had 2 and decided she was full. I still had a bit more room in my tummy so finished off Greg's.

Cleaned up the huge mess we made and put the rest in the freezer for me. I think they will make a wonderful late night snack drizzled with honey or sprinkled with some powdered sugar and rolled up.

Only 2 more days of summer vacation left. I am trying to make the most of it for the kids . And give Greg something more to eat than cereal. I don't even know how many boxes of cereal we have been through this summer. Sometimes it's breakfast, lunch and dinner for Greg. Well, at least he is getting milk and grain. I don't buy sugar cereal.

Then when it's all cleaned up, Greg asks if he can have $1 if he vacuums the house. Sure why not. Don't eat what I cook for you and then take my money too boot! Hey, at least the house is vacuumed.

And then, Greg decided to go back out front and hit some more golf balls. I told him yesterday they have to stay on the grass, too many things that could get hit. "Watch this mom" Swak! Golf ball hits the brick fence and then comes sailing back past us. Good thing my car was not in the driveway. "oops" is Greg's comment. Me, I have a scowl on my face. Next ball, whack, just misses the neighbors car parked in the street 3 houses down and the ball continues to go rolling down the street. Me, ok Greg, that is enough. I told you only to hit them to the wall and the balls have to stay in our yard, go pick them all up now. Pout pout pout but he does it. Back inside, turn up the AC as the garder is here and plop on the couch.

I know the kids are bored, but they wanted to do nothing these last few days. Cartoon, Webkinz, golf, cooking, getting airplanes stuck in trees, ironing, singing and dancing, cleaning rooms, etc..... good for them to find something to do

That's the end of my story. Maybe I should write a book???

3 comments:

Michele said...

LOL!!! Sounds like all the perfect things to do as the summer is winding down for you guys. Your crepes sound yummy, would love to try them ome day! My grandma used to mke them for us growing up and I dont believe I've had any sense! Cream cheese crepes with raspberry sauce - to DIE for!! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I cannot believe that you are still on summer holiday.
LUCKY~LUCKY~LUCKY
When do the kids get out of school in the O.C.? I wish that school would start later here since it is 100+ in August.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Martha Stewart INDEED!! That'll make my hubby laugh!

I'm so glad Greg liked the crepes, ya know, my kids do nothing but complain about my cooking. When I tried to recreate YOUR recipe (spinach leaves dipped in ranch dressing) they said, "Mrs. Murphy's was better!" I said, "IT'S SPINACH DIPPED IN RANCH! IT'S ALL THE SAME!" But no luck. Maybe we should trade kids!