Monday, September 17, 2007

First Day of School

Today is the first day back to school. (finally). The kids school has been doing some construction getting ready to build the next school building. This meant the kids got out of school June 1 and are just now starting back. A long summer.

Kaydee, Evelyn and Greg
Greg (did not want his picture taken) so handsome!
Evelyn. So tall and beautiful.

Evelyn is in 5th grade which means a uniform change and she got all new uniforms this year. Evelyn is excited to have Mrs. Goode.
Greg is in 3rd grade and is so happy to have Mrs. Salazar. Evelyn had her for 3rd grade.

The first day of school is a late start day. This means the kids can arrive between 8:30 and 9. Parents can go to the classrooms with the kids and meet the teacher, etc.... Normal start time this year is 7:40 and school is out at 2:40 rather than 8 and 3. The extra 20 minutes in the afternoon will be nice. However, getting up and out of the house 20 minutes earlier may be a challenge. But for now, the kids are up, pictures have been taken and Greg is anxious to get going. Kaydee is wondering why everyone is up and moving around by now.

We parked out on the street and walked into school today. Construction is still ongoing. But the new road is done and all the new portables are in. But, no more sandbox or black top for playing. The field is about 1/2 the size and the grass is still growing. Wonder where the kids are going to play today? But, it will work out.
Here is Greg at his desk. Mrs. Salazar is behind him. He would not let me get a picture of him with Mrs. Salazar and did not even want me to take this picture. This is the one that turned out the best. Greg is seated right by 2 of his friends. Think there will be some seating reassignments soon.
Evelyn and Tom at Evelyn's desk. Evelyn didn't want her pictured taken either. But I managed to her her by surprise.

Said goodbye to the kids and headed back to the car. I was so sad to have to say goodbye to the kids. But then again I was happy that the kids are back in school with their friends and a routine and I can get a full day of work in with fewer interruptions. It was a long summer and a fun one too. The kids are getting more independent and finding things to do. They are already talking about when they can drive and that's really not too far off.

Back to me..... stopped by Starbucks for a chai latte (ok, I know I can make it myself, but there is just something about going into Starbucks, smelling the smell of freshly brewed coffee and getting a drink made there.) Now as I write this, I know the day will go by fast and I am anxious to hear how the first day of school went. Will there be homework today? When are the first big projects due? Did we forget anything? And I have to remember to pack lunches!! Oh my!

It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.
— Mother Theresa

2 comments:

Michele said...

Pictures are awesome! Hope their first day went GREAT!!! See you tomorrow :)

Anonymous said...

Happy First Day Back to School!!!
I still say that you are LUCKY LUCKY to have such a long and fun summer holiday!!!