Thursday, November 15, 2007

Just when you thought it was safe to open your windows again

And then, drat, the winds pick up again. What do they blow all over the place? Black ashes left over from the Santiago fire. It's pretty warm too, like in the 80's, so I have had all the windows open.
Fire update: I read yesterday the fire is still burning, but all contained. There is a crew on watching the fire, hitting hot spots, and extinguishing the flare ups. This is good. Still looks a little smoky over the hills where the fire still is and it's quite far. Thankfully no other structures are in harms way. We still see signs thanking the fire fighters for their hard work. People have written on their car windows, signs posted on the sides of businesses and at neighborhoods that were saved.
Now back to the the ashes. Well, they blow in from the trees, bushes, etc.... where ever they have landed. All over the white shower daily, bathroom floors, furniture. And outside is pretty nasty too. When I hose down the patio or walkway, black dust just rolls away with the water. The carpet by the back door is black from the kids and dogs feet.
As I have been on an organization spree, I have been spot dusting and have stopped trying to stay up with the dust everywhere else. The carpets are being cleaned next Wednesday, so the night before will dust very well and scrub down the patios and walkways.

No comments: