Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A nail biter - first play off game

What a game I tell ya. We went a full 7 innings! We won the coin toss so were home team tonight.


End of first inning was 1 - 1.


Fast forward to the 6th inning. Score was 3 - 1. We were behind. 2 outs. Runner on 1st and 2nd. Who was up? Oh, that would be Greg. He batted in the #2 position. My heart just stopped. I was so nervous. I have never seen Greg look so nervous in all his life. I didn't say a word to him. Didn't want to throw him off as he was really in this game. He sure has his game back! As do all the Dodgers.


First pitch, Greg swings. Strike. Super swing, as he was going for the fence. Throw in a few balls there. Swing, foul ball for strike 2. The entire time coach Scott is telling Greg to breathe, relax, breathe, relax and to imagine what it is like to hit the ball over the fence. And all the while, I am trying to breathe and relax too. I was keeping pitch count and kept peeking over my clip board, tapping my nails on the clip board. But I wanted to see what was going to happen.

Here's the pitch.....a swing by Murphy, aka Smurph, Murph, Smurphy, Greg-o, G, Bud...... and he connects with the ball and good hit to short, runner on 2nd runs with all his might not looking back and slides into home! Score for the Dodgers! Runner on first makes it to 3rd. Greg running to first, fumbled ball, so he dashes to 2nd without looking back. Run Smurph run!

And the crowd goes wild. There is jumping, yelling, happiness by all! And this was not the first time. Even the single A game stopped for a few moments to take it all in! See what you get next year guys :)

Tie score now 3 - 3. It's a blur after that. I have never seen Greg so nervous in all my life. After strike 2, he turns around, walks out of the batters box and blows out a big breath of air, and a little spittle with it. Everyone commented on how nervous Greg looked and that they have never seen him so nervous before. Whew, I was glad when that inning was over.

7th inning, Nationals scored 3 more, we scored 1 more. Final score was 6 - 4.

but, hey, that is fine. We play the Angels on Saturday, 3 pm. We've got to get a crowd down there, wearing Dodger Blue to cheer on the mighty Dodgers.

Greg played 3rd, 1st and even a short stint at 2nd. He also pitched an inning. Threw some darn good pitches too. I do say, Dodgers were so in the game today. Greg got his game mojo back. It's a good thing.

No practice tomorrow so 2 days to rest before the game Saturday. Can do some much needed sleepin' in on Saturday morn. I will make sure of that. Will rent some baseball movies, "The Natural" and "61" Greg 's coach told me about "61" Have never seen it but supposed to be good (and he's in the movie too) We saw "Field of Dreams" the other night (one of my favorite movies) and "The Rookie". And yes, Evelyn, I will look for a horse movie for you my cowgirl.

GO DODGERS!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS!!

(All Star meeting Thursday. We get uniforms and practice schedules. Maybe game schedules too)

No comments: