Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Not letting up

Woke up this morning to smoke and ashes and the hills still burning. The news helicopters showed up early too. I watched the news for about an hour and decided to send the kids to school. The fire seems to be burning through the canyon and away from the kids school. Although over by school we can see the smoke from the Camp Pendleton fires. The sun coming up through the smoke was very orange and eerie looking.
I have had my eyes glued to the news all morning long. I also read the Santiago fire is now 50% contained, which is great news as earlier it was reported to be 30% contained. There are fire crews from Shasta helping us out. And fire crews from all over OC and elsewhere.
I know there are many fires here and not just the Santiago fires. There are crews from all over at all of the fires, not just the local fire crews. At a time like this it is not the time to make judgements on the lack of crews or response times like I heard some mention of people complaining about on the news last night. But for the most part, people seem to be thankful for the work the fire crews are doing. I know I am! It is just amazing.
Last night I went out back around 1 am for the last time before going to bed. The hills were glowing orange and I could see the fires as well. The air was thick with smoke. I said good night to the fire fighters and said a prayer for their safety and the safety of everyone in the fire areas.
We know a few people who were evacuated and are now back home safely. I do feel better today as it seems the fires are moving away from the area of the kids school.
Thanks for all your kind emails.

No comments: