Still a lot of smoke here. Didn't seem to be too windy last night though, but I could smell the smoke all night long. It's not too windy this morning but can sure smell the smoke.
As soon as I woke up I turned on the tv to get an update about the Santiago fire. Didn't see anything on the tv. Internet is pretty good updating at http://www.ocregister.com/ . I opted to keep the kids home from school today just for my piece of mind and to keep them out of this smoke as much as possible. My eyes and throat are burning and I have an incredible headache. I did load the kids in the car and we drove up Los Alisos towards the toll road (about 2 miles). There is just smoke everywhere! Back home from our back yard we can see the smoke on the hills. No flames though (at least that we could see) The fire is moving East so should be moving past us today.
The sky towards San Diego is just a blanket of brown smoke.
Here is an update from http://www.ocregister.com/ :
The Orange County Sheriff's Department has begun to evacuate 63 boys from the Joplin Boys Ranch, a juvenile detention center in Trabuco Canyon. The boys are being sent to Juvenile Hall in Santa Ana. Firefighters are encouraging residents of 76 homes in Santiago Estates to evacuate as the Santiago Fire approaches. That evacuation is voluntary. - 7:40 a.m..
Laguna Beach has closed all public schools today. Saddleback Unified School District has also closed Foothill Ranch and Portola Hills elementary schools, and will not be operating buses in the Foothill Ranch and Portola Hills communities. - 7:32 a.m.
Firefighters have announced that 600 homes and about 2,000 in Silverado Canyon face an "immediate threat" from the wildfire. That community, as well as neighborhoods in nearby Modjeska and Williams Canyon, is being evacuated. - 7 a.m.
I don't like to be so gloomy, but for whatever reason this fire just has me worried. It's close, but not too close and it's moving away from us now.
California fires. Picture lifted from a friend (she found it on google)




No comments:
Post a Comment