Monday, October 22, 2007

Fire update

Fires are still ablaze here. I have been watching the news all day and listening to the news on the internet.
Tom is on his way to Vegas for a paint show and is driving with some other people from work. They got stuck on the 215 from the Devore fire. Had to turn around and are headed to Vegas the long way via the 40. Last I spoke to him was around 3:30 and they were headed to Yucca Valley. No fires there.
The kids and I headed to Foothill Ranch this afternoon. 2 reasons. needed to go to Target and to see how the fire was progressing. Target was empty. There were a lot of people in the parking lot watching the hills. We drove through the center to hit Mervyn's but all the other stores in the center were closed, but Target.
As we were leaving the parking lot, several police cars buzzed by, directed us back through the parking lot and out on to Portola. Then they blocked off the intersection of Portala and Bake where we sat for whate seemed forever. Cars were coming down Bake from the homes. Then about 5 fire trucks and a water truck came down the hill, turning right on Portola towards Anton.
The smoke there was so thick with ashes blowing all over.
It's even smoky at our house and I told the kids to stay inside. At least it is not as windy as it was before. Kids and I are staying in for the rest of the day and I will just have to rely on the news for the fire updates rather than driving to get them myself.
If it's smoky like this tomorrow, probably keeping kids home from school. Behind their school is a big ravine. I am just a worrier and feel it's better to be safe.

No comments: