Monday, August 6, 2007

Practice - week two

Week 2 of practice means full gear and contact! Ok, now it's really hard to pick Greg out of the crowd of boys on the practice field. Today he wore his blue socks and one was up and one was down. That made it easy. With all those pads on Greg just looks so much taller. I do need to measure him. And he just looks so much older. I know he has grown so much this summer. Evelyn 2. New shoes for her every few months. At the rate she is going, we will be sharing shoes by 2008.

So, after I did my 3 miles around the track, I plopped down to watch practice. Warm ups and drills first. Who is passing up everyone when they are doing the warm up runs - Greg. Oh my, it really is him. He has mastered the Karaoke (who knows if I am spelling it right - but it's pronounced like when you get up and sing a song you really don't know but want to impress) and that is tough, crossing one leg over first then the other all the while going sideways. Back peddling, passing up guys. Some guys even fall over and we have seen the domino effect many a practice. Greg was a domino one practice.

Water break, sweat running down his head after the helmet was removed. Let me tell you, there is a unique way to remove these helmets as they are very fitted. Starving kid so he downed a Tiger's bar and grapes not to mention water and Gatorade. Then the kids were split in 2 groups to practice offense and defense. Have no idea what defensive position Greg was at but it was on the side (have to do some googling here to learn the defensive and offensive positions). The boys would line up and 3 coaches would run plays. Greg was quickly off the line every time getting right to the coach with the ball. Coach told him to hold back a bit (guess that was what he was supposed to do) and Greg did and watched the pass and got the coach for the tackle! Whoo-hoo. A few of us mom's were cheering our guys on, they were doing so well. A few boys had to rotate in and out, but Greg stayed in every play.

The boys were not allowed to tackle each other, only the coaches. Hard for a 7 or 8 year old to down a 200 pound coach! But they sure tried.

Water break and then it was time for me and Evy to head home as Tom came to relieve us.

Evelyn was busy playing with Maddy, her new friend. Sometimes they watch the practice. But mostly like to lay on the pads or hang on the soccer goal post at the end of the field.

It's fun watching these guys practice. Can't wait for the games to start and they are almost here. Scrimmage on the 18th is at 11 but don't know where yet. Opening day is the 25th! Don't know the time yet.

So, I guess I can add football mom to my mom list - soccer mom, baseball mom, softball mom, girl scout mom, boy scout mom, adventure princess supporter mom, Diva Mom, and I am sure I have missed many mom titles in there. But the one I love being the most is Evelyn and Greg's mom. Mom to the best kids who ever walked the earth (my earth!). I don't mind going through life being known as Evelyn and Greg's mom when some one can't remember my name (I do the same thing too).

Go Bears!!! Whoo-Hoo

No comments: