Thursday, August 16, 2007

Do you remember.........

Do you remember where you were this date in 1977?

My dad sent me an email to remind me. He has such the memory for things! And always reminds me of dates I need to know :) Thank you :)

We were camped at the Simon Cowell Redwoods State Park, near Santa Cruz, CA. That was the day Elvis Presley died. We went to a pancake breakfast at the fire barn in town.

And I do remember being there and hearing on the radio that Elvis had died. I remember camping there too in our tent trailer. Oh the places we camped in our tent trailer.

Fire Barn is another word for Fire Station in Fireman lingo. Way back when, before engines, they were barns as horses were used to haul the wagon with water and the firemen to the fires.

So, where were you the day Elvis died? Something to think about.

Also, my dad sent me pages of quotes he is using in his memoires. I can't wait to read them. All the crazy antics he and his brothers did when they were growing up. Their poor mom. 5 boys, wild indians she called them. I do believe that. Growing up with my crazy uncles was fun and always a good laugh and fun times at a family get together. And we go together quite often.

So, here is a thought compliments of D2 (that's D squared or Double D), Dale Dickson, my dad.

“Take time to think…it is the source of power. Take time to play…it is the secret of perpetual youth. Take time to read…it is the fountain of wisdom. Take time to pray…it is the greatest power on Earth. Take time to laugh…it is the music of the soul. Take time to give…it is too short a day to be selfish.” Anon

Have a thrilling Thursday!


Here is my dad and his mom Evelyn
Deem, Don, Daryl, Dale - 4 of the wild indians!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was 12 years old and playing in my room when I heard this tremendous scream, "He's Dead, He's Dead", and my mother crying hysterically. I thought she was talking about my dad or something. Turns out it was Elvis! A sad day indeed!