I just added this to my shelf over here on the side ------------------------>
This was the month's selection for my book club. It took me awhile to read as I just don't have a lot of time to devote to reading lately. But a very brief synopsis: Paul Farmer is a medical doctor whose life's calling is to cure infectious diseases and to bring lifesaving tools of modern medicine to those who need it the most. The author trails along with him on his journeys to Haiti, Cuba, Russia, Peru and back to the states. Farmers dedication shows how one person can make a difference in solving global health problems.
Last night was the book club Christmas dinner. We met at the Melting Pot in Irvine. I have never been there and have been wanting to go. Have to say it was quite fun and the food was good. Pricey, but good for a fun night out. There were 6 of us and we split 2 of the big meals which was just perfect. Started out with 2 types of cheese fondues where we dipped bread, apples, carrots. Dinner was lobster, shrimp, salmon, chicken, fillet mignon, pork and cheese ravioli with veggies and 2 pots of tasty broth to cook up our food in. Then dessert, 2 pots of chocolate were set out and we could dunk strawberries, bananas, pound cake, brownies, cheesecake and marshmallows in the luscious chocolate. We were there for about 3 1/2 hours but it went by fast and was well worth it. :)
Now that I have finished Mountains Beyond Mountains (I had about 10 pages to go so finished it up after I got home last night) I've got to check out my book club list to see if I have the next selection. Then decide if I want to read the next book in the Twilight series, or the book club book. Hmmm, decisions. But first finishing wrapping presents, getting presents in the mail, and making sure things are ready for Christmas.
Now, onto another subject that I am sure I have mentioned and there is also a link on my blog. This is a cause that we help support , the kids help support it through their school, and also through our church. I have met this remarkable man and have gotten to know him over the years. If you are looking to send a donation in someones name this Christmas, or just out of the goodness of your heart want to make a donation to a worthy cause, click here to meet Father Marc and the kids of Project Hope in Haiti. Follow the blog for incredible pictures and stories. This once small orphanage is turning into it's own Village where the boys and a handful of girls are learning to be self sufficient, go to school, have a dry place to sleep, food in their tummies and a church to attend.
Now a P.S. I broke my camera last week. I dropped it on the nice new tile floor in the kitchen. Doh! The camera was on the counter, I picked it up not realizing the strap got caught on a knob and bam. Camera on the floor. The lens was stuck, not opening or closing. :( I called around to places seeking an ER camera doc.
was told over and over that my best choice was to buy a new camera due to the age of my camera. What?? I love this camera, I don't want a new one. I want this one fixed. Please.
Well, I continued my search and this lead me to Best Buy where I purchased my camera, maybe 4 years ago. The nice Geek at the Geek Squad told me the same thing I had been told over the phone. So, I plod my way to the camera department, ask the nice sales guy if he as a twin for my poor outdated broken camera. No, but, there is this one which is comparable and has more zoom, more pixels, more..., and it's on sale for only....... . Ok, doing quick math, it's really not much more than what I would pay to fix the old one. So, I broke down and bought the new one. That was Monday. During he pouring rain. It's still in the box, in the bag, in the other room. I need to open it, set it up, put in the scan disc, and download the ton of photos that I didn't down load before the incident. Need to get used to this camera before next week and I take 300 pictures of Christmas. I didn't get photos of our cookie baking or decorating. :(
So, wish me luck with my new camera. Then I'll get some pictures on here again. I didn't get a picture of the snow on Saddleback Mountain (can see it from the kitchen) or the rain pelting down the street.
Have a fun day, stay warm, stay dry, stay safe (It's raining again today!!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
I TOTALLY understand your camera problem. I tell you one of the best cameras that we ever had was a Kodak that we got free along with a boogie board when we purchased 2 boxes of film. (Yes FILM) The day it "died" was a sad day and I too got the same story that it cost more to fix it then buying a really nice camera.
I would break down and meet the new guy since you do need to get use to him before Christmas morning :-)
I admire your reading!! I just am not a reader. I was growing up. LOVED it!! Never really was without a book. I do enjoy reading the books that Mary-Margaret usually has to read for school.
I bet Christmas baking was a treat in your new kitchen. I remember 2 years ago when our kitchen was new and it was so much fun. I am not doing our cookies this year since the oven in this house is so wierd and wrong. It is just a hit or miss when baking.
Take care and have the BEST Christmas ever!!!
xoxox
Post a Comment