Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A very memorable Memorial Day Weekend

This weekend was just awesome! And one we will all remember for a long time. Not only do we remember our soldiers who have fought to keep this great country of ours free. We also remember those who are currently fighting to keep our country free.

Our weekend actually started out Friday afternoon. I got the kids from school at 11:15. After some errands, Greg changed into his Sox uniform, got all ready for his game, and played 2K8 on the Wii.

Around 3:00 we headed out for Irvine. It's really not that far, but Greg was antsy to get there. The game was at 5:30. We played a team from Garden Grove. Our guys looked great in their uniforms and were so ready to play ball. Thankfully, the rain had let up and it was great baseball weather.

Most of the teams in this tournament were Pony League teams which has different rules than Little League. For instance, you can lead off the bases for stealing, you can steal home and on the 3rd strike, if the catcher drops the ball, you can run to first.

We were up first and scored a run the first inning. Well, this would be our only point this game and we lost 14 - 1. We were not used to runners leading off, stealing home or running to first on a 3rd strike. But our guys hung in there and played a great game. We were quickly initiated into the Pony League rules.

After the game, we went to dinner, home and went to bed fairly early. The plan was to leave at 8:30 on Saturday morning as we we had a 10:15 game.

We were ready to go and in the car at 8:30. Our neighbor Janet hitched a ride with us. She loves baseball and loves the kids and we love her too. She's great!!

Saturday, we played La Canada. While chatting before the game, we learned the boys were 10 and 11. Our team was mostly 9 with a few 8's and some 10's. But we are tough guys. La Canada was also a Pony team. We were more familiar with the rules and lost 10 - 8. A much better game.

It was back home to get ready for Sunday. Greg had lost one of his batting gloves, so we headed to Sports Chalet. Then to Target for snacks. We also looked at Wii games as I really do want Wii Fitness. Not there, but, is that what I think it is?? Guitar Hero for Wii? And an extra guitar? Oh my, why yes sir EE, it is! Had to snatch that up right away. I have been looking and never see it in stock. Score!! The kids had it opened, set up and were jamming to "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" by the time I unloaded the car and made a reservation for a batting cage. I had to drag Greg away to go to the batting cages. We sure are having fun with Guitar Hero. Now you can call me Diva Rock n' Roll Mom :)

Now, Saturday night, I told Greg and Evelyn to sleep in Sunday. Our game was not until 12:30 and Greg wanted to be there to watch the game before his. Well, I guess Greg mis understood what I said. He was up at 6:30 am! Bugger. I finally got up and took my time getting ready to go. The kids and I were out the door headed to the park, via Starbucks, at 9:30 am.

Wouldn't you know it, we got to the park and it was raining! Not hard but raining. We bought all 13 of the professional photos which were taken at the prior days game. The guy said they were up till 3 am developing all the pictures that were taken the prior day. Wow! We managed to get the Easy Up set up and over the bleachers where we happily shared it with some parents for the Irvine team that was playing before us. Very nice parents. :) It was good for Greg to see other Pony teams play.

Game time for our game against the Saddleback Slammers, another little league team from Lake Forest. Now this was our game and we won, 10 - 5!!! Way to go Sox!! Greg pitched one inning, threw 2 strike outs and threw one batter out at 1st. He pitched 11 pitches and did awesome. He also played 1st, 3rd and left field.

But no time to celebrate as we had to jam over to another park for a 3:00 game against Newport Beach. These guys seemed to be a lot older than our team and we lost 10 - 4. It took us a few innings to get into the game.

Off for a team pizza party where we stayed until about 8:00 pm. But it was fun, chatting with parents and getting to know other parents while the boys and the siblings had a great time playing together. This was a great make up of boys and an awesome team. I sure hope we have a chance to play together in another tournament. This team is mostly boys we play against and some in other divisions. There were 4 guys from our team, 3 Greg had played on teams with before and the rest ones he only know from playing against. Our next Dodger game will be fun to watch as 4 of these guys have experienced another style of baseball.

Monday, Evelyn and I blew off the Memorial 5K run and opted to sleep in. Ahhh, 9 am wake up time. Wonderful!! Evelyn and I went out shopping for some much needed shorts for her. We also enjoyed lunch at Cinnamon Productions, where we had breakfast rather than lunch. Back home to start making lollipops for Wednesday nights Taste of America at school. Troy (from Greg's team) came over to play for awhile, while grandma took Evelyn to riding lessons and I spent the afternoon and evening making 140 lollipops. Oh vey, what mess I made too. But they turned out pretty darn good. Evelyn did her share of mixing and wrapping up the pops too.

At the moment, my camera and computer are having communication problems again. But I did manage to download all 139 photos I took at Friday's game. I took most of the pictures from behind the fence in right field, using my super telephoto spy lense. As it started getting dark, some of the pictures are dark as I did not edit any of them yet. Enjoy some highlights.

MV Sox warming up.
Pre game chat time.
Huddled in the dug out getting ready to play.

Greg reaching on first. I can't remember what the play was.
ok, this is the type of lead off we were dealing with. This guy is running to 2nd and the ball has probably just left the pitchers hand. Greg is at first signaling that the runner is running. Maybe the pitcher is throwing to 2nd and Greg is waiting for the ball to be thrown back to him.
Greg at bat. He batted 9th. It's getting dark now so not a super great picture.
Greg in left field running toward the ball.
Throwing in a fowl ball.
Just some random phots. This is Greg's ball bag hanging in the dugout.
Can you guess what's in this picture? It's yellow, plastic and bumpy. It goes on top of a chain link fence. It's the top of the fence I was leaning on and over to get pictures. Probably taken between innings.
This is the fence I was leaning on and over and that the yellow thingy in the picture above sits on so I wouldn't scratch myself on the fence. Well, actually, more likely to protect any ball player who reaches over the fence from getting scratched, stuck or whatever by the fence.
Yep, I guess the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
No butts about it, it was a great weekend. Sorry Greg, I had to put this one in here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome weekend - love the last line, and the photo too!!! :) Glad it was so great!!