Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Foundation is done

Friday and the weekend and Monday went by with no work on the house. Until Tuesday morning, today. We were told the cement truck would be rolling in around 7 am as would the workers.

I pulled in the driveway around 6:45 am (after boot camp) and a worker was parked in front of our house. I walked in the door and Tom informed me there was about 3" of water in the trench for the footings. Oops. My bad. The lawns were very thristy so I watered yesterday afternoon. I left the sprinklers on extra long out front as Greg and the neighbors HHH, were all having a great time out there. The sprinklers don't turn off very well. I thought I had it turned off just fine and didn't see any water leaking from the sprinkler turn on thingy. And it's right next to the new foundation. So, looking at this water, the cement guy says it's ok but do we have a cup or something to bail it out?

I got the pump from the garage and a few buckets. We quickly began bailing as the very noisy cement truck was situating itself in front of our house with a driver who looked very anxious to unolad his noisy load. I heard this guy coming down the street and it was like 6:50 am. I am glad most of our neighbors are early risers!

After moving trash cans (it's trash day), cars, and confirming that it was ok to start pouring, the fun began. Since the cement truck is too heavy, it couldn't go up over the sidewalk and park on the grass or park on the driveway, plus there is a pile of lumber there. The guys would load up a wheel barrow of cement, push it up the driveway and dump it in the hole.

I was a shy photographer this morning and took these through the window in my front door. Holly, you can kinda see across the street.


K was so anxious for her walk that I bolted out of there with her after the guys got busy working. Then she layed in the house with a confused look on her face wondering what the heck all the commotion was. By the time I left to take Greg to the ortho at 9 they were just about done.



Keep in mind that Evy's room is right next to this new addition. Could anyone sleep through a cement truck churning away in your front yard, right outside your open window? Well, my girl sure can!

Time is now almost 2, workers are gone, Oops typed too soon. The guy just showed up to move the sprinkler valves. They sit directly against where the new wall will be.

Framing should start tomorrow. It's getting crazy but I'm ok with it. I know it will be over in a few months and things will be looking great!

I waited a little too long to get a photo and now have the nice afternoon shadows.






We carved our names in the hardening cement. I waited to long though to put in our foot and hand prints. We also drew designs with knives in the hardening cement. I could't get all of our cement creations because of the shadows. But you get the idea. Greg's friend is over today so he also carved his name in the cement.

No comments: