If you have not been to our house, I should tell you we live on a quiet street. It's a long street, but we are towards the end of the culdesac. Our street is a single loaded street, no houses across the street from us. There is a hill across the street, with the neighbors back yards, but they don't see right down to our houses. Behind us is the "Wilderness Glenn" which runs along Los Alisos. Basically, there is a lot of trees and vegetation, a walking path and a stream. A lot of wild life too, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, possums, rats, and tons of birds, including hawks and the occasional owl.
So, back to the story: Wednesday morning, Tom took the kids to school. I heard our neighbors dog barking. I could see Zuko through the fence barking at his back fence. He is a mild mannered dog and doesn't bark a lot so I knew something was up. I went over to check it out and what do you know, a big raccoon was right behind the fence in the bushes. I walked up to the fence and the raccoon moved a little away. Zuko was not letting up so I decided to bring him to our house.
We get back to our house and Z runs out back to check things out. Kaydee is excited and thinks it is a play date. But, Z bolts to the fence and who is there, yep, that raccoon is behind our fence now. So, of course both Z and K are going crazy barking at that raccoon. Ahh! I ran to find some rocks to throw at it to try to get it to go away. Got back to the fence and could not see it, but the dogs were still barking so knew it must be in the bushes. Tossed the rocks into the bushes anyways hoping to scare the thing away if it was still there. Guess it was gone but the dogs still did not want to calm down.
Took Z home as he kept whining at the front door. Luckily the raccoon didn't go back to his yard.
Haven't seen our raccoon buddy since, so maybe he decided our yards are not good for a little food foraging. Let's just hope no more skunks decide to come over for a visit. Don't need a skunky smelly dog again.
Thanks for reading all the way through :).
Thursday, March 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Wow, raccoons can be so vicious. Glad the dogs didn't have to tangle with one!
Oh my gosh-it is a little exciting to see wildlife so close to us. I am glad to hear it all turned out good.
Post a Comment