Monday, January 28, 2008

A must read book

I am in this super fabulous book club at the kids school. Great group of mom's who all love to read. Over the last few years have read some great and some not so great books and some books I never would have picked up.
We started off this year with "I know this much is true" by Wally Lamb. Ok. had it's moments.
We also read "Digging to America" author name escapes me at this moment. This book had it's moments.
"Travels with Charley" by John Steinbeck was ok. I find it hard to read Steinbeck. I did read "East of Eden" last year and will admit there are pages that I just skimmed through. Read "Grapes of Wrath" in college and would like to read it again.

Now here is the book that is a must read. It's long, 973 or so pages but don't let that scare you away. You get hooked and so caught up in the book. I did. The book is by Ken Follett, "Pillars of the Earth". Written in the 1100's and mainly about church builders. The guys that built these huge cathedrals and churches. Could take 15 years or so to build. Of course there are the stories of the Kings,royalty,earls, knights, the monks and Bishops who run some of the villages where the churches are to be built and the stories of the lives of the builders and their families. Life was not always that easy back then. But they sure drank a lot of beer and wine and ate a lot of horse bread.

If you are looking for a great read go out and get this book! Now before it leaves the shelves!!

Currently reading: "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. you may have seen her on Oprah a month or so ago. Now this book is only 334 pages and I am on 44. Maybe I can finish it up this week as I will have some down time in the evening when I am gone these few days.

Happy reading! If you have any recommended books, please let me know. My book case is overflowing but I always welcome a good book recommendation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhh, another reader. Did you see that I'm keeping count on the side of my blog? Just for fun.

Great book I just read is the Kite Runner.

Jaq