Tuesday, July 31, 2007

First day of football practice

Yesterday was the first day of many many football practices. Greg is playing for the Saddleback Valley Bears. He is on the Jr. Mighty Mights (JMM). They practice at Los Alisos Middle school and will play at El Toro HS or Aliso Niguel HS.
Practice is M-F, 5:30 to 8:00 pm through Labor Day, then it tapers off to 3 days a week, same time.
We got to the school around 4:50 yesterday as we came straight from Kumon. If you have ever driven by that school during football practice, you know what the parking is like. We were able to park on Los Alisos and didn't have to cross the busy street. Even though we were early, still tons of cars. I have to admit, we were so lost, didn't know what field to go to. But finally saw Greg's coach and we were at the right field. There are 3 teams practicing on each field! Plus the cheer squad on the grass.
Evy and I staked our spot on the bleachers and got to meet a few other moms. There was one girl Evy's age and they hit it off and had fun playing. Practice was not stop, but there were water breaks. Now, trying to pick out Greg is a group of 25+ boys who are all wearing blue helmets, white shirts, blue shorts, white socks and black shoes, is like trying to find just the right fish in a school of fish. Unless you are looking at the back of the shirts with the names, hard to pick out the right one. I ended up looking at legs. Greg's socks were scrunched down so I just memorized what his legs looked like and could find him most of the time.
Tom came by about half way through practice and took over so Evy and I could get home. Good thing as I was not feeling well.
The guys got home close to 9. Greg was starving and ate the food I had brought so Tom took him to Taco Bell where he ate 2 tacos and one enchirito. Saw the coach there and guys from other teams as well.
Greg's comment when he got home was "I am so tired!". I knew it.
I was already in bed when the guys got home, so went back to bed and slept till 6 am.
Greg was tired this morning and did not want to get up. Wonder what he will be like in a few days.
Well, can check off day one. Many more to go. I will post the game schedule when we get it. There is a practice scrimmage on August 25, but no details yet.

No comments: