Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Did you ever have one of those days..........

.....those bang your head on the bike hanging in the garage kind of days, those DAH, what was I thinking or doing kind of days? Well, my friends, you are not alone. I have them all the time. Well, not every day kind of time, but plenty of them.

The other morning I turned on the sprinklers and was wondering why the grass out back was not doing so well. I had re-seeded the lawns about 1 1/2 months ago. Front looks great, back so-so. Some big brown spots. I had adjuster the sprinkler timers........oh the timers. DAH!! The back come on first, front second. So, dah, have to adjust the first timer control thingy to the right time first. I had them backwards. So, after extra watering out back for the last 2 days, things are starting to look a little greener. Hopefully after a week, we will be seeing a lot of green again.

Ok dead of winter, heater not working. brrrr (for So. Cal). Checked the pilot light - on. Checked the circuit breaker - on. Was going to call Eric for Petes number (he installed our new AC a few summers ago). My dad said, why don't you make sure the switch is on. I chekced for a switch, no switch, made sure things looked connected. But then, DAH, the plug. DAH. The heater is plugged into this industrial type of plug that is then plugged into the wall plug. It was loose. Pushed it in, turned on heater. Ahh, warm again.

Ok, please stay with me, I am almost done here. About a year or so ago, I was boiling some eggs. Just a few. Well, I went back to work in the office (I work at home). Maybe an hour or so later was smelling something. Not that smell you smell when your curling iron has been plugged in for about an hour and you forget. DAH! the eggs! I forgot about the eggs. Well, the water had boiled away and the eggs exploded. Yep, exploded. I had scrambled egg pieces all over the kitchen; the ceiling, floor, stove. Yuck. But it didn't take that long to clean up. And at least my stove didn't look like this........



My dear friend, who will remain nameless, sent out this email and picture today. She wanted to dye some eggs like her good buddy, Martha Stewart. So she writes:
I followed the directions exactly! I set up 2 pots of water, and filled one with water and turmeric (a bright orange spice that looks like curry powder) and the other with chili powder. And I put eggs in the pots and set them on to boil, just like the directions said I should.

Of course, the directions SHOULD have said, "If you have 4 children, you really should not attempt this project. Because what will happen, you see, is that you will wander off to clean up barf or change a diaper or some other task, and you will FORGET that you have left these concoctions on the stove, and suddenly you will notice a bizarre, eggy, spicy smell throughout your house, and you will panic and think OH MY GOD THE EGGS.

Then you will sprint back to your kitchen and through the blinding, eye-stinging fog of burnt spices you will find a toxic sludge has exploded all over the counter. It will look something like this: (see above egg picture)

Chiseling the orange and red sludge off the stove, the counter, and the floor will take most of the day. You may have to throw your pans away. Getting the smell out of your house will take the rest of your life. The eggs, by the way, will be a dull greyish color remarkably similar to your baby's diaper.

In other words, YOU AIN'T MARTHA, GIRLFRIEND. So get to the grocery store, buy a box of Paas egg dye, send the kids out to the patio to color the eggs however the hell they want, and be done with it."

Yes, this is true. None of the stories are made up. So, when you think you are having one of those days, just remember, eggs, spices, Martha, don't mix well. I myself, like the pre-died eggs from Trader Joes. Kids now say coloring eggs is boring.

Thank you ______ for letting me share your story and your picture. Hope your eggs turned out in the end.

Make sure to read below for the Padres update :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG, that's a hilarious story about the eggs. I bet your friend didn't think so, but I'm sure she will look back one day and laugh!