Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cutting Coupons

Things with the house are finally coming to an end. Hopefully by the end of next week. I am sure there will be other things we find, but those will be minor compared to everything else that has been done.

The kitchen should be done today! We will have our appliances in and be up and functional. Yay! Floors start up again Thursday! I can't wait to get the office set up again. I have so many ideas and hope they work.

I finished the touch up paint in the kids rooms. Whew! Just some minor touch ups where I bumped the ceiling with color. That doesn't take long to fix.

I was watching a recorded Oprah episode last week which was all about saving money. Wow! Some of these gals really have got it. The one that really got my attention was the Coupon Mom. She is awesome. She showed how in one trip to the grocery store she saved 72% on her grocery bill between using the store club card and coupons. Imagine that! That's like paying $28 for $100 of groceries. Then I thought, I can do that. Yep, I sure can.

I used to clip coupons but would get to the store with my organized list and find out I left the darn coupons at home. Ugh. But I could still save with the club cards. I don't shop at the grocery store as much as I used to as my favorite stores are Trader Joe's and Henry's Market. But I still need the grocery store to stock up on certain things that you just can't get a TJ's or Henrys. And I do use my club card for savings and can do a pretty good job of it. And I don't do Costco anymore. Occasionally will do Smart and Final to stock up on things.

So, I saved the coupons from Sunday's paper. I started clipping this morning. I also found that on some of the ads it invites you to go to the website to get FREE samples. Ok. I can do that too.
My coupons are clipped, my small stack of freebie's are by the computer to click onto today. Now all I need to do is get another coupon organizer (or dig in boxes in the garage to find one), organize my coupons, make my shopping list for the necessities we need, wait for the grocery ads to come in the mail and plan my mega grocery shopping trip.

My fridge and cupboards are pretty empty these days. Just getting necessities to get by for a week or a few days at a time. I was going through my cook books and recipes torn from magazines when I was putting them on the new shelf and found so many new recipes to try. So now my goal for the rest of the week is to plan out new recipes to try on the new stove (!!!) and oven (!!!) make my list according to the weekly sales and coupons and get shopping. I can't wait to see how I do. Will I save 72%? Who knows but I will try my best.

When you have some time, check out the Coupon Mom and sign up. It's free. I got an email from her yesterday which I still need to read and then will get to her site to see what coupons she has up there this week. Happy shopping!


2 comments:

Tara Cross Beam said...

Thanks for the tip!!!

I am glad your home is nearly finished. I'd like to see it in person when it is all done.

Michele said...

Thanks for the tip - I am off to check out her site now!! :)