Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Riding lessons

Evelyn is taking riding lessons with Rivera Riders in Lake Forest. She loves it. Never wants to leave and pesters me almost every day for a horse.

Evelyn had a project in reading.......making a memory box. She wanted some pictures of her and Freckles. So this was the perfect photo op. I got photos of Evelyn getting Freckles ready to ride and then some of her riding Freckles.

When Greg is with me, he loves to walk around the stables petting horses. He has found his favorites who he has to visit every time. There is Slick, JJ, Skooter and of course, everyone's favorite, Sassy. I also have mine; Roy, Skooter, some other's who I don't know their names and of course Sassy.



These 2 horses are always at each other. JJ on the right and Skooter on the left. Greg stands in the middle of them. I didn't get it in a shot but JJ actually had hold of Greg's sweatshirt and Skooter was trying to get a piece of the action. Next time dude. He also loves the pen with the mini horse and all the goats.


There is also everyone's favorite, Sassy. She shares a stall with 2 very fat goats who continually try to get out and get your attention. Greg got to lead Sassy out of her stall and brush her this time. He did a good job too. I don't know all of Sassy's story. But , Sassy is blind. She has no eyes. She did at one time but in order to save her, her eyes had to be removed. I don't know what was wrong.





Her stall is next to the riding arena. We walk over to her, call her name, and she immediately comes up to us for a good scratch. She is so sweet and friendly. She's fun to watch in the arena when she rolls around in the dirt. So, we always talk to Sassy and give her some good ear scratching and tickling under her chin. She is a beauty!

Now here is Evelyn. She has to groom the horse before she can ride. She can now hoist the saddle on the horse and cinch it all up, and get up on on the horse ready for riding. Evelyn just adores Freckles and they work together very well.




In the arena, they start with a walk, and then a slow jog to warm up the horses. Then they start their patterns or different gaits. Today, was a circle pattern. Not too far out and not too close to the middle. Evelyn did it perfect walking and even jogging. My guess is that this is to use your legs to get the horse to do what you want it to do. Worked. Worked quite well.





After the pattern, it was time for a stable walk. Evelyn was the last, the caboose. At one point, Bosco (the horse in front of Freckles) tripped on something and startled, so Freckles startled. Evelyn didn't even seem phased. She held Freckles back and then took up her position again when all was well with Bosco.

I am just itching to get out there and ride too. I would love to take lessons. Rode a lot as a kid on my aunt's horse or my friends horse and where ever else I could. But never any lessons. No desire to be a barrel racer like Evelyn. Just wanted to ride for fun. Maybe one day. Hmmmm birthday present? A month of lessons? I'll put it on the "to do" list. One day. Maybe.

For now, I will enjoy watching Evelyn ride and sweet talking my favorite horses at the stables.

1 comment:

Tara Cross Beam said...

Great pictures Naomi!!! Love-Tara